Friday 11 June 2010

Potato Salad with Mustard Dressing

Salad number 4 of 5. This is such a simple but delicious salad, well its not really a salad apart from you would serve it with other salads. I always think this is a bit odd, as even the potato salads you get covered in mayonnaise - that have never seen a salad leaf in their life is called ‘salad’ and potatoes don’t even count as a fruit or veg portion – oh well just one of those things. Anyway, this salad is lighter and more summery than a mayonnaise potato salad, which I often find a little rich. It makes use of a very simple mustard dressing and is also tossed with some mustardy, garlicky scented herbs such cress and chives, which work brilliantly with potatoes without being overpowering. The streaks of green they add make it look even more appetising too.

I’ve used wholegrain mustard for this dressing as it’s slightly milder than a Dijon mustard and often more vinegary, which works so well with potatoes, sort of like adding vinegar to your chips I suppose. I also enjoy how the whole mustard seeds pop when you bite down on them, releasing their mustard pungency. However, I’m sure other types of mustard would work well too, so use whichever one is your favourite. The most important thing to remember when making this salad is to add the dressing to the potatoes while they are still hot, as this allows the vinegary, mustard, garlic flavours to be absorbed into the potatoes. Makes a great addition to a picnic or BBQ spread and can be eaten hot or cold.

Potato Salad with Mustard Dressing
Ingredients
400g new potatoes
2 spring onions
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
Small handful of fresh cress
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
½ tbsp olive oil
½ tbsp water

Method
Wash the potatoes, but there is no need to peel them. Cut any particularly large ones in half but leave the rest whole. Boil them until tender.
Meanwhile, finely slice the chives and spring onions into 5mm pieces and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix the mustard, olive oil and water together to form a runny paste.
Once the potatoes have cooked, drain them and then return them to the hot pan. While still very hot, pour over the mustard dressing and add the chives, cress and spring onions. Replace the lid on the pan and toss everything together to ensure the potatoes get coated in the dressing. Leave the lid on until the potatoes have cooled down slightly, about 15-20 minutes, before serving warm. Also tastes delicious cold the next day.
Serves 6-8

NOTE: Adding the dressing to the potatoes while they are still hot is important, as this allows them to absorb all the flavours from the mustard and herbs.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks so gorgeous I can almost taste it from here!

Shari said...

This is a whole new twist on potato salad! Love it! The whole grain mustard idea is great!!

Chele said...

You are on my wavelength Katie! I LOVE potato salad with mustard dressing ... in fact I like any combo of potato and mustard lol

Cocina Savant said...

This looks delicious. I adore the combination of mustard and potatoes, and yet when I make potato salad it usually consists of yellow mustard. I am going to give whole grain a try next time. Great blog, I am glad I ran across it.

Elle said...

Simplicity in a salad, but with powerful flavors...looks wonderful! I can just imagine it with some bbq pork and steamed fresh sugar snap peas...mmmm.

Monica H said...

Hey Katie, sorry I've been MIA lately, but I'm back! This potato salad looks delicious. I love whole grain mustard. Will definitely have to try this.

The Caked Crusader said...

I love whole grain mustard - I add it to salad dressings, mashed potato...pretty much anything!