Tuesday 31 January 2012

Happy Birthday Mum

It was my Mum’s birthday at the weekend and we did the usual family gathering of cards, presents and cake.

Both my Mum and I love rich fruit cake (homemade naturally) and this year over Christmas I made our fruit Christmas cake gluten free so that I could eat it too. However, this meant that I rather greedily polished off most of it before Mum had more than a slice or two. I decided to rectify this by making her a birthday fruit cake using regular wheat flour so that she could enjoy it without fear of me munching on it too. I used this recipe here, replacing plain flour for the buckwheat and rice flours.

I covered it in marzipan and fondant and decided to try and do some fancy piping work around the edge. I’d never attempted anything like this before and I’m quite pleased with how it turned out. The contrast of shocking pink and black really makes it stand out.

Thank you Mum for all your help, support and guidance, especially over these last few years. I couldn’t have done it without you xxx

18 comments:

Rolling Pin Claire said...

You sure you've never done anything like this before? This looks amazing, it really does. Think you might have a future in cake decoration!

Katie said...

Aww thanks Claire. I've decorated the odd birthday cake before but not done much with fondant or piping :)

cornercottage said...

Beuatiful! Love the contrast between the pink and the black and the fondant has such a lovely finish. Well done you!

Kelly-Jane said...

Beautiful! I'm sure your Mum loved it :)

LPATRI11 said...

The cake looks fab! Very professional! How did you do the cut out black flower shapes? - I've been trying to find a punch/ cutter for a while but haven't had much success.

Heather said...

Your cake looks beautiful. You did a wonderful job.

Aarthi said...

awesome cake


Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

yes the coconut did add extra yuminess! Wow what a pretty cake, I bet your mum absolutely loved it - hope she had a great birthday. I especially like the colour scheme you used!

James B said...

What a great looking cake, very professional!! If thats the first time you have tried that decoration, your gifted :)

Unknown said...

You did a magnificent job of decorating that cake. I would have never known that you don't do it often (or ever?). This was a real nice thing you did for your mom :)

Nisha said...

Oh my, so beautifully done, can't believe it's your first time, wow! Looks great!!

Anette Grostad said...

Beautiful! I love the colors. I am about to start a new knitting project, I think it will be in pink and dark brown :) Thanks for the inspiration.

Johanna GGG said...

looks gorgeous - happy birthday to your mum! and love the new header too

Diseño Web said...

Deliciosa!!!!

Katie said...

Hi LPATRI11,

You can find lots of flower cutters online. Here's a link to a great site.
http://www.makeawishcakeshop.co.uk/onlineshop/Results1.asp?Keyword=plunger+cutter

Ebay also has lots on offer.
Hope this helps

Monica H said...

Happy birthday to your mum. The cake is gorgeous Katie!

The Caked Crusader said...

Gosh that looks so perfect and professional - you should set up business and sell these!

Choclette said...

Fantastic decorations including the fancy piping work. I bet your mother was well chuffed. Great looking cake.