Sunday 16 October 2011

Amazing Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookies

Flourless peanut butter cookies are one of those seemingly magical recipes that in my mind shouldn’t work. There is no flour, grain or starch of any kind and no butter or oil and yet by simply mixing together peanut butter, sugar, an egg and a smidgen of raising agent you end up with fabulous chewy, crispy, creamy cookies. Huh? I don’t stop too long trying to explain it. It works, its good and that’s all I need to know.

I already have a recipe for peanut butter cookies on this blog and it’s the one I make when I’ve got a peanut butter craving. However, earlier this week I was browsing online and came across a slightly different recipe that included chocolate chips too! I adore peanut butter and chocolate together and so it took my literally 20 minutes from seeing the recipe to baking them.

These cookies are AMAZING! They are thicker and creamier than my previous peanut butter cookies, with a slightly crisp outer surface which yields to soft, chewy, peanut intensity middles. They are sweet, deliciously creamy and nutty. When you bite into a little chunk of dark bitter chocolate it’s just the perfect pairing, especially when the chocolate is still slightly melty from the oven. Insanely good!

I took the cookies to share with some friends and we polished off the lot. No one would ever guess they were gluten and dairy free! (check your dark chocolate) I’m going to try them with crunchy peanut butter next time, but these will take some beating! I urge you to drop what you’re doing and go bake some now!!!

Amazing Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookies
Ingredients
240g smooth peanut butter
160g caster sugar
1 egg
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g dark chocolate chips/chunks

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a tray with a silicone baking sheet.
Mix the peanut butter, sugar, egg and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl using an electric whisk until well combined. (It will be very thick)
Add the chocolate chips and beat in.
Scoop up tablespoonfuls of the mixture and roll them into balls using your hands. Place them on the baking tray, leaving a 1-2inch gap. (Leave them as balls if you want extra thick, yet smaller sized cookies or flatten the tops slightly to create very thick discs if you want slightly larger, yet still thick cookies)
Bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 3 minutes. Carefully transfer the cookies to a cooling wire using a palette knife – they will still be quite soft.
Leave to cool to room temperature before devouring.
Store in an airtight container.
Makes 12 cookies

11 comments:

Rachael said...

They look incredible, I can see the melted choc and it's making me want to make them right now!

Unknown said...

I love me a good peanut butter cookie. Maybe when I'm not so stuffed up with this stupid cold I'll bake them :) They sound (and look) great.

MissCakeBaker said...

I'm so impressed that they are so simple to make. They would have been so nice with the cup of tea I've just had!

The Caked Crusader said...

I think biscuits are the BEST possible use for peanut butter - it's such a perfect flavour/texture combination

Caroline said...

Wow, they look absolutely amazing. Am defnintely bookmarking these as a big chocolate and peanut butter fan!

Chele said...

I'm stealing this recipe!!!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I'm trying these today...seriously! I have a jar of peanut butter in my fridge that hasn't been touched - I know what I will do with it now! Thanks for the recipe

Elle said...

These do seem magical! They also look like a great cookie for afternoon tea.

Gloria Baker said...

These cookies look delcious! gloria

Butter Hearts Sugar said...

I love peanut butter choc chip cookies! I now make them instead of choc chip cookies. They look so yum!

Johanna GGG said...

I've only made them once - they were a huge hit - and now sylvia is allergic to peanuts which makes me sad when I look at these cookies but maybe other nut butters would work too