Thursday 22 February 2007

Bananas for Breakfast

I really love pancakes and every year after Pancake Day I always tell myself that I will definitely cook and eat them again before the following year and yet for some reason I rarely do. Does anyone else do this? However, I woke up this morning to find that my last banana had gone past the ‘soft’ stage and was fast approaching ‘mushy.’ With the pancake plan still fresh in my mind I decided to transform my banana into thick American style pancakes.

This recipe contains no milk, I did intend on using some but the batter turned out soft enough not to need any. I also decided against adding any additional sugar as I assumed the banana would provide all the necessary sweetness, although I did add in a little finely chopped dark chocolate for good measure. The resulting pancakes were light, fluffy and very tasty. They also make for quite a healthy breakfast as long as you don’t like to eat your pancakes drowning in syrup. Thinking about it now you could make them even healthier by using wholemeal flour in place of the standard white.

Banana Pancakes

Ingredients
1 ripe banana
1 egg
20g dark chocolate
3 tbsp plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp sunflower oil

Method
Peel the banana and mash it into a fairly smooth paste. Add the egg and mix together.
Finely chop the dark chocolate and add to the banana.
Fold in the baking powder along with the flour, a tablespoon at a time, until all incorporated and a thick batter has formed.
Heat a non stick frying pan with the oil until hot. Add small spoonfuls of batter to the pan and allow to cook gently until bubbles begin to appear on the surface, about 30 seconds. Flip the pancakes over, they should be golden brown, and leave to cook for a further 30 seconds.
Serve immediately while still hot, with a few extra slices of banana if desired.
Makes nine, 3inch/7cm pancakes.

No comments: